1960-2010 - 50 Years

This blog is dedicated to the students who graduated from Henryetta High School in Henryetta Oklahoma in 1960.

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Elementary Schools in Henryetta

Back in the olden days, Henryetta had 6 elementary schools - Webster, Jefferson, Frances Willard, Washington, Roosevelt and Irving. The following photos were taken at Webster Elementary School - I would be happy to include photos from other schools if only I had some (Hint, hint). If you click on the photos, they will enlarge.
Webster Kindergarten Class
Here's what several of us have come up with - please let me know if you can identify the DK's (don't know).
Front row: Mickey Osmond, DK, Paul Richeson(?), DK, DK, DK, DK, Paul Bumpus, Joan Carriage (?), Nell Garrett, Ruth Ann Shurden
2nd Row: John Dacus, Gene Autry Anderson, Andy Garbart, DK, Sondra Herron, Marjorie Haynes
3rd Row: DK, DK, DK, Chuck Richeson, DK, Karen Crow, Barbie Lust, DK, Dick Cameron
Back Row: DK, Ronnie Roland, Bill Huddart, Roy Rakestraw, DAnna Steckelberg, Pat Reed, Richard (DeVaughn?), John Greiner, Bill Miller
4th Grade Class - Webster
6th Grade Class - Webster

5 comments:

  1. Hi, D'Anna! Your Class of '60 website is soooooo wonderful! Jeanie Ayres Polston told me about it, and I have really enjoyed looking at it. We, the class of '59, had a wonderful class reunion this summer, and enjoyed having John Greiner, Donnie Prewitt, and Eloise Woodliff as guests! You all are getting off to a great start and have awesome ideas! I did want to identify the first boy on the first row of the kindergarten picture as my brother, Micky Osmond. I was really surprised to see him there as I had never seen that picture before. Also in the 1958 prom picture, that is Gary Ingram and I dancing in the lower left corner and across is Kent Muehlhausen and Shirley Gordon. Here's hoping to see you all next summer in town at the reunion! Congratulations to you all for making it to your 50th!
    Much love,
    Becky Osmond Hold

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Becky. Pass on the website to anyone who you think would be interested. And thanks for the id of Mickey. Actually, that's me dancing with Kent! Hope to see you next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Webster was the last Elementary school built. The kindergarten was at Irving, I believe it was. I went there and so did my siblings. It was across the street from Whittman's on 11th and the street just south of Broadway. The third picture IS of Webster. I remember the entrance. The school was made out of a different stone... unless there was another Webster before this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great site! Lots of work done on this and very attractive. I'm wondering, as did the post above, about the first two pictures. I always thought the kindergarten was at Irving. I could be wrong, and that is highly likely, but I believe the first two pictures were taken in front of Washington Grade School. I know for a fact that in the "postcard" picture that has the caption "Henryetta High School" (above right) that the bottom portion shows the old Lyceum building (background on the left) which later became the high school & jr high when Washington, which is in the right foreground, was built.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first two photos were taken of the "old" Webster. The bottom was my 6th grade photo, which was taken in front of the "new" Webster. The old school was torn down when I was in 5th grade, I believe. We were "shuttled" over to Irving and returned in time to finish 6th grade in the new building. If I'm not mistaken, they used a section of the old building when they rebuilt the "new" school.

    ReplyDelete